The Cardio ION is a combination of nutritional tests that gives a nutritional assessment and identifies risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Specifically, this nutritional test measures levels of fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, organic acids, and risk factors for CVD.
The Cardio ION nutritional test identifies modifiable risk factors for CVD, including:
- Fatty acid imbalances which can lead to chronic inflammation. Current research finds levels of specific fatty acids to be strongly correlated to CVD.
- High fibrinogen is associated with increased risk of clots and CVD
- Homocysteine is an important risk factor for not only CVD, but stroke and dementia as well
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is essential for proper mitochondrial function and energy use. It also acts as an antioxidant. Cardiac cells have high mitochondrial demand. Statins can decrease CoQ10 levels.
- Fasting insulin is an indicator of insulin resistance. Hyperinsulinaemia has been associated with a cluster of CVD risk factors.
- Insufficient antioxidant status is associated with increased oxidation. Oxidative damage is believed to play a role in heart and vascular disease by promoting inflammation.
The Cardio ION nutritional test can guide treatment of many conditions and symptoms, including:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Immune Disorders
- Mental/Emotional Disorders
- Learning and Behavior Disorders
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
- Inflammatory Conditions
Why Order the Cardio ION nutritional test?
An evaluation of standard lipid markers does not provide optimal assessment of risk. The Cardio ION nutritional test goes beyond conventional serum lipid markers! This nutritional test identifies critical CVD risk factors, including:
- RBC Magnesium
- EPA and DHA levels
- C-Reactive Protein
- AA/EPA Ratio
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol and gamma tocopherol)*
*Not available in New York
Test Type: Blood & Urine Test