Products of Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4)
Neopterin and biopterin are by-products of the redox reactions involving tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4). BH4 functions as a cofactor for the enzymes responsible for the production of monoamine neurotransmitters (ephinepherine, norepinephrine, DOPA, serotonin), and as a cofactor in nitric oxide production.
Neopterin is a marker of inflammation and cellular immune response, allowing detection and monitoring of inflammatory processes.
Neopterin is elevated in:
- Autoimmune diseases: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus, and Atopic Asthma
- Conditions of T-cell or macrophages activation
- Psychiatric disorders
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Neurological Disease
- A simple overnight urine specimen; no blood draw is necessary!
- Order this profile by itself or get a special discount when you order it as an add-on with: Organix Profiles, ION Profiles, Cardio/ION Profile, TRIAD Profile, or Toxic Effects Porphyrins Profile.
Test name(s): 0088 - Neopterin/Biopterin Profile*
Method: LC/MS-MS, Spectrophotometry
*Not available in New York